Sunday, January 31, 2010

Catch of the Day

The Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan

I wanted to put up a review of this book before its theatrical release in February 2010. I hope that the movie will stay true to the book, but I don't hold out much hope!

I picked out this book for my nine-year-old son, who I was pushing to move on from graphic novels and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  After some duress, he started to read The Lightning Thief before bed one night. I knew it was a hit when he woke up early the next morning to see what happened next. "You were right, Mom, it's really good."

Once he was finished, I decided to give it a try.  I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

The Lightning Thief tells the story of Percy Jackson, a modern-day boy with ADHD and dyslexia who finds out he is the son of a Greek God. The characters at first, are not really well-defined-it was hard to feel attached to them right away. By the middle of the book, however, you are rooting for their success and looking forward to the second book in the series.

Riordan incorporates the Greek Gods and monsters in a way that builds tension and excitement, while igniting in his young readers a curiosity to discover more about these myths. (Even this old reader found herself googling various Gods and Goddesses, trying to recall those half-remembered stories.)  Adults will enjoy Riordan's updated rendering of the Gods.

Percy is a very likeable yet imperfect boy, who makes his share of mistakes. He can be prideful, and impetuous.  But he is also brave. Readers will like that he is (almost) a regular boy.  He does have special powers, but to say what they are, here, would give too much away.
Percy's best friend is a satyr named Grover who is badly bullied at school for the way he limps when he walks.  The two misfits forge a bond that becomes even stronger when Grover saves Percy's life and brings him to meet Chiron at Camp Half-Blood, the place demi-gods go to be trained and protected.

They meet the third member of their group at this special camp for the children of the Gods.  Annabeth is Athena's daughter.  She and Percy immediately strike up a tenuous friendship that becomes stronger as they battle for their lives when they are sent on a Quest to save Percy's mother.

The strength of this book is how it takes everyday school events that  all readers will recognize, and ties them in with the legendary history of Mount Olympus and those that rule the earth. As a teacher, I loved how Percy's ADHD was portrayed in a positive manner-it keeps him on his toes in dangerous situations.

I also like to see my son excited about what he reads.  He has asked for each new book before finishing the last, and has taken out Greek Mythology books from the library. I think these are great books for reluctant readers-they are easy to read aloud, and I would bet that you would only have to read two chapters before your child is waking up at six to check out what happens next...
(Sorry if the description seems vague-I don't want to spoil any of the surprises!)

No comments: